Ifmy house was foreclosed on, can the mortgage company come after me for the money owed on it?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifmy house was foreclosed on, can the mortgage company come after me for the money owed on it?

House was vacated during a divorce; payments stopped; no information received from mortgage company; county records show “Dismiss Without Prejudice Original 02/16/11”.

Asked on June 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If both you and your ex remained on the mortgage, then yes you are both responsible for any "deficiency" owed to the lender. A deficiency is the difference between what the property is sold for and what remained on the mortgage, plus fees/court costs (in IL a deficiency is only allowed only on  foreclosed homes sold at public sale).  You remain liable because regardless of what your divorce settlement may have provided, the mortgage lender was not a party to your divorce. Therefore if your ex was awarded the house, as far as the mortgage lender is concerned, unless your ex refinanced you are still liable for any default of the mortgage. However, if in fact your ex was responsible for making all mortgage payments and failed to do so, your ex is responsible for reimbursing you any money that you may be out-of-pocket as a result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption