How doI get my rental deposit back?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI get my rental deposit back?

I am in the U.S military. I have an appartment that I was leasing for 1 year. When I left for a military deployment Ino longer needed the apartment. I gave the landlord proper military orders to break the lease. On page 4 of the lease it states that the landlord has 14 days after I vacate to return my deposit and/or give me a written statement of the reasons that they would with hold any funds. I vacated the property 6 weeks ago. The landlord has provided nothing to me. What should I do. I have tried to call?

Asked on June 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Are you still on active military duty and deployed?Then I think that it may be best for you to give someone close to you your Power of attorney to bring the landlord to small claims court and to obtain your security deposit back. It is easy enough for you to look up the law for your state on line as to security deposits.  Some states allow for treble damages if the landlord withholds the deposit for longer than it is permitted under the law.  Just make sure that you have complied with the law as well, giving the last known address, etc., or what ever you are required to do.  Good luck to you and thank you for your service to our country.  Be safe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption