If I rent a home, is it illegal to say the landlord lives hereif he doesn’t?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I rent a home, is it illegal to say the landlord lives hereif he doesn’t?

My husband and I stopped paying rent about 3 months ago. Our landlord (a family member) along with his realtor (a family friend) have both told us that if anyone asks (I.e. the bank), we need to let them know that the landlord lives here (for tax purposes) even though he does not. Is that legal, or is that considered fraud?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is illegal. The landlord is most likely trying to claim some tarx deductions to which he is not legally entitled, or trying to qualify for financing for  which he is not eligible. If you support his false represenations, knowing or having reasonable grounds to know, that they are false, you may be considered be an accomplice in the landlord's act of tax evasion and/or fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption