Can I inspect the property inside and out and show the property with written notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I inspect the property inside and out and show the property with written notice?

I have a 5 year contract for deed loan agreement with folks on a home. New Link Destination
help them afford the property we set a scheduled yearly deferred down payment that was to be paid. They have paid zero of it. Since we have a buyer that wants to view the property we sent a default notice to borrower. They are disregarding any immediate need to pay down payment and are refusing to allow us to inspect/show the property until mid-June. The property is in a rural area and not every buyer is going to desire that setting. The current prospective buyer wants this type property.

Asked on May 18, 2019 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, assuming you did not transfer title to them yet, it is still your property, you are in essence their "landlord" and as such, you have the legal right to inspect it, to perform repairs  or renovations (if necessary) and to show for sale or lease on reasonable (generally 24 hours+) notice. The owner of property always has the right to inspect, show, etc. it. If despite providing notice, they refuse to let you in (e.g. keep the doors locked against you, and you don't have your own key to go in), you can go to country court on an "emergent" (think: "urgent" or "emergency") basis to get a court order requiring them to let you in. Seeking such a court order can be procedurally complex; if you have to go that route, hire an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption