If an employee walks out and doesn’t come back, can their paycheck be held until an exit interview is done?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an employee walks out and doesn’t come back, can their paycheck be held until an exit interview is done?

New Link Destination
morrow is pay day for the pay period that ended last Saturday. If an employee decides to not come back to work does the employer have the right to hold that pay check until an exit interview is done?

Asked on February 12, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, your former employer may not legally do this. The fact is that an employee does not have to submit to such an intervie nd/or sign documents to get their final paycheck. If they won't release it to you, you could sue them for the money in small claims court and/or contact your state department of labor and see if they can help. If your employer really wants you to come in, they can offer you an incentive to show up such as severance. They can also mail, fax, or email you any documents that they may want signed. This is all true unless there exists an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption