If I disclosed a DUI convictio on a job application, can I later be fired because of it?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I disclosed a DUI convictio on a job application, can I later be fired because of it?

I put that I had received a DUI on my application and was hired as a salaried employee. However, I was fired 23 days later for the DUI showing up. Can they do this?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all state sin this country, absent a written agreement to the contrary, one's employment is terminable at will. Meaning, one can be terminated by his or her employer without recourse for any legitimate reason so long as there is no discrimination based upon gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation and the like.

From what you have written, your employer can legally terminate you due to your DUI conviction particularly if your job would have required the driving of vehicles.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption