If an employee is provided housing and is terminated, how long do they have to vacate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an employee is provided housing and is terminated, how long do they have to vacate?

This business is a motel and an apartment is provided to them. if they
are terminated how long do they have to vacate the apartment.

Asked on October 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Typically, a tenant must be given notice and a statutory timeframe in which to vacate. However landlord-tenant law has an exception for employer-provided housing. If a worker's occupancy is contingent on their employment, once employment ends, an employee's rights to tenancy are lost. In other words, if you received housing as part of your job, then your tenancy ends when your job does. This means that you have to vacate within the time period provided, absent an employment agreement to the contrary. The fact is that employee housing is a discretionary benefit which can be stopped at any time for any reason.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption