do they have too pay me something ?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do they have too pay me something ?

i work as a manager / supper for a rooming house . i get free rent
only .. no contract ,, is there a law that says they must pay me
something ?? thanks for any help ..

Asked on October 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Free rent can be the only compensation you get, so long as the value of the free rent at least equals or exceeds what you would earn at minimum wage for the number of weekly hours you work. You can figure that out by determining the monthly rent for a similar unit; dividing by 4, to get weekly rent (approximate); then dividing that number by the number of hours you actually work (not merely are "on call"). If the effectively hourly wage or rate is at least minimu.m wage, this is legal; if less than minimum, they may have to pay you something, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption