If a store director tells you that you are getting vacation pay after being fired, do you still get it?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a store director tells you that you are getting vacation pay after being fired, do you still get it?

After being fired I asked about vacation pay they told me I was going to receive it plus this years but I haven’t. I have witnesses to what they said. The store director is the one who fired me for ruffhousing off the clock.

Asked on November 1, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

In WA, state law does not require employers to give paid vacations.  However,  when they are given, employees must be paid for earned vacation upon their termination.  This is true, whether or not the employee resigns or is fired. That having been said, an employer is permitted to set a policy, in writing, that employees will not be paid for earned vacation time upon termination.  The employee must agree to the policy, also in writing (this is typically done during the hiring process). In most cases, this policy is in the employee handbook.  Additionally, if there is there is a union contract or collective bargaining agreement that covers this, accrued vacation time may have to be paid. Finally, if an employer has a history of paying vacation time upon termination regardless of the company policy, then the company probably must pay this employee.  Also, withholding vacation pay from a protected group is illegal discrimination.

Bottom line, even though there is no state law requiring a business to pay these benefits upon termination, if the business promises workers these benefits and does not follow through, workers can contact an employment attorney, file in small claims court for their unpaid benefits, and/or contact the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption