CanI sue for wrongful termination if I did not agree with certain illegal hiring practices?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI sue for wrongful termination if I did not agree with certain illegal hiring practices?

I was against hiring illegal aliens for cheap labor during our property’s construction rehab phase. I felt insecure, fearful for criminal charges and in fear of losing my job if I did not cooperate. I was laid off a few days after advising the owner for the 6th time that it was wrong and suggested change.

Asked on November 1, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek consultation from an employment attorney in your area.  Generally speaking, your question raises the issue of what is known a a whistleblower statute, where a person files a complaint about violations f the law that exist on a work site to an agency such as OSHA and is then targeted for turning in their employer.  That is against the law and protected.  But if you are an employee at will and you you are terminated, the termination has to be discriminatory in some way in order to be illegal.  Much more information needs to be discussed here with someone who has knowledge of the law in your state.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption