What are my rights for an employer causing me stress?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights for an employer causing me stress?

I have a medical condition that makes parts if not all memory blank out if I get overly stressed. And while working for a company as a sales rep, I ended up requesting an electronic fee to be taken out of my account which I had money in my bank account to cover. But then my memory blanked out for a few days and I used my banks bill pay feature to send the money to the company. They refused to cancel the electronic checks to my bank. Is the company able to be held responsible for damages to my medical state from stress causing me more seizures and my bank account that had been damaged over this?

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Are you asking to see if you could sue Avon in this scenario?  Why would Avon be held responsible?  Under what theory of law?  Did they force you to be a sales rep or just give you the opportunity for equal employment regardless of your disability?  They did not authorize the transactions or force you to authorize them.   It seems to me that maybe you should seek the type of job that does not put you under so much stress (all jobs are stressful in some way) so that you medical condition is not exacerbated in any way and that this does not happen again.  And make sure that you keep copious notes as to what you are transacting and have overdraft protection.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption