I am wondering if I would have grounds to sue for medical malpractice or other compensation.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am wondering if I would have grounds to sue for medical malpractice or other compensation.

I experienced a sports injury that resulted in back pain my senior year of high school, 2013. After figuring out it was more serious and around to stay I went to a specialist in my area at Northwest Brain and Spine. The doctors never took X-rays and gave me a minimal physical exam before making a diagnosis of sacroilliac joint dysfunction. They recommended corticosteroid injections to the joint and after about a month, it had worn off. About 5 months later I had another set of injections which didn’t last long either. Without any further examinations, 7 months later they decided to perform a radio frequency ablation of the nerves in that sacroiliac joint. I was in so much pain from that and I developed nerve damage to the skin in the area and it is extremely sensitive. I cannot lay flat on the ground or do a push up in fear of that area experiencing pressure. That did not last more than a couple of months of some relief before I was back in pain again. A year and a half after my ablation I went back for one more corticosteroid shot before giving up. Since then I still experience chronic pain and cannot function like a normal young adult. I am now 22, seeking further opinions from different doctors and all of them disagree with the previous operations done to me. I finally have an X-ray showing my si joints are fine and that I actually have some mild spine deformities in my lumbar region. I have an M scheduled in the near future to develop an actual treatment plan. Is there anything I can do about the neglect I experienced from the doctors at Northwest Brain and Spine? Looking back, I should have left them early on but I was so desperate and in so much pain I did not feel I had the option to leave. The next closest specialist was 3 hours away so I thought they were my only option at the time.

Asked on August 24, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it is too late to file a lawsuit for medical malpractice because the statute of limitations has tolled (expired).
In Colorado, a medical malpractice claim must be brought within two years after the malpractice occurred.
However, the two year period can be extended because that time limit does not begin until the harm caused by medical malpractice is discovered or should reasonably have been discovered.
The problem is that regardless of when a person discovered or reasonably should have discovered the injury, the medical malpractice claim must be filed within three years of the date of the alleged malpractice.
Since five years have elapsed, you have missed the statute of limitations and you have lost your rights in the matter forever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption