Can I bring a civil suit against a police department for negligence?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I bring a civil suit against a police department for negligence?

About 4 months ago, I was hit by a flatbed truck riding my bike to work at 10 am. The officer at the scene never interviewed me about the truck and also left

the scene before paramedics showed up. I wasn’t contacted until 4 days ago from the hit and run division. I was critically injured had 2 surgeries a week long hospital stay and I have to learn to walk again. I am also now destitute being unable to work at my career as a chef. My medical bills are around

$100,000. Someone needs to be held accountable.

Asked on August 23, 2018 under Personal Injury, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, based on what you write, you have no viable or valid lawsuit. The officer did not run you over; the officer did not cause or contribute to your injuries. Whether he interviewed you or stayed at the scene or not, you would have been hurt as badly; would have needed the same medical care and therapy; would have had the same bills; would still be unable to work; etc. The officer did not cause your injury or losses, and thefore you cannot sue the police

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption