What to do if I was told by a doctor that they accepted my insurance but now they are saying they don’t and are trying to force me to pay?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was told by a doctor that they accepted my insurance but now they are saying they don’t and are trying to force me to pay?

I have spoken with them and also wrote them a letter in response to their letter admitting their mistake. They still insist that I owe the money.

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you received medical treatment from your doctor and he then stated after the treatment that your insurance will cover the bill but then changed the position on the bill, you unfortunately are obligated to pay what is invoiced  and not your insurance carrier.

However, if you were told by the doctor or his/her representatives before any medical treatment was given you that you were covered for such under your insurance policy for health care, then you should not be obligated for the bill presented. The rationale is that had you known before the medical treatment you received was given you was not covered, you might not have elected to receive it with that doctor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption