Is there a statute of limitation on a collections debt?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a statute of limitation on a collections debt?

My car was repossessed 8 years ago and a collection agency is trying to collect money now.

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If there was no judgment against you previously (that is, you were never taken to court and failed to show or lost the case), then it would  seem that they could not enforce the debt against you at this point: the statute of limitations, or time period to sue (which is therefore  the time to enforce a debt) in New York for contracts (like the financing agreement on the car) is only 6 years. Therefore, if you defaulted 8 years ago, it should be too late to legally enforce the debt.

On the other hand, if there had been a judgment against you--that is, you lost in court, whether by default (not responding or showing) or on the merits--the SOL for a judgment in NY is at least 10 years; so if there was a judgment against you 8 years (or less) ago, they could still enforce it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption