What to do if I was sexually harassed by 2 employees at a former workplace?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was sexually harassed by 2 employees at a former workplace?

It included inappropriate touching, sexual comments and a hostile work environment. I ended up quitting my job there after a male employee grabbed me by the front of my shirt and shoved me into some equipment. I notified the manager on duty and he left the building and didn’t do anything. The next day I notified another manager and she also didn’t do anything. I asked several times throughout my employment for contact information for corporate, but the head manager refused to give it to me. The people sexually harassing me were an assistant manager and a cook. This happened in front of the head manager and she did nothing.

Asked on December 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may well have a legal claim for monetary compensation: not only is sexual harassment at work illegal, but it is also illegal for an employer to not at least look into or investigate claims and take reasonable appropriate action. You could contact your state equal/civil rights agency about filing a claim, or speak with an employment law attorney about a possible lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption