Leaving the state of Massachusetts

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Leaving the state of Massachusetts

I am currently paying alimony and would like to move
to another state. I may not have a job when I leave.
Can I retire early and not have to pay alimony?

Asked on November 3, 2016 under Family Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No. The law does not let you voluntarily take an action to reduce your income and then reduce your alimony based on that: if you voluntarily retire early, you will still be held to the same alimony. If you retire at the "normal" time, that is different; or if you are laid off and can't get a new job, that is not your fault; in those two cases, you could apply to the court for an alimony reduction with a reasonable chance of success. But again, you can't voluntarily, of your own free will, do something to reduce your ability to pay alimony and then have your obligation reduced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption