What to do if I was recently put into handcuffs and ever since there has been a numbness in my hand?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was recently put into handcuffs and ever since there has been a numbness in my hand?

I was never formally arrested and no charges were filed. Can I sue? I believe nerve damage was done because it is just a consistent numbness.

Asked on August 27, 2014 under Personal Injury, Massachusetts


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can always sue but it is unlikely you will get anywhere.  Police have conditional immunity from tort claims.  Assuming they had probable cause to arrest you, they could put you in cuffs.  You say you were never "formally" arrested, but there is no such thing.  If they put you in cuffs and kept you from leaving, they arrested you.  There is no evidence the police were negligent, far less grossly negligence, the hurdle to get past the conditional immunity police have while on the job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption