If I was recently charged for shoplifting but have never been to court for anything before, what do I do and should I expect?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was recently charged for shoplifting but have never been to court for anything before, what do I do and should I expect?

I am 19 and cannot afford an attorney, What do I do when I appear before a judge? Will I be able to get this off my record? What will my punishment be?

Asked on March 16, 2015 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

North Carolina refers to this crime as a larceny.  How it is classified - Class 1, 2 or 3 misdemeanor or a Class H felony - depends on the facts.  If this is your first offense and the amount was under $1000 then incarceration is a probablility and could range from 1 day to 45 days (class 1).  If it is a Class 2 or 3 you could get community service.  If you can not afford an attorney as for one.  Ask about diversion programs (offered for first time offenders) and an ACD (adjourment contemplating dismissal) if you stay out of trouble for probably 6 months.  That will dismiss an criminal charge but not the arrest.  That you may have to expunge or seal.  This is a very serious matter and an unfortunate way to learn a lesson. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption