What to do if I accidentally missed my “Attorney Review” court date and now there had been a warrant issued for me?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I accidentally missed my “Attorney Review” court date and now there had been a warrant issued for me?

I called the date of the hearing and told them that I was unable to make it but they still issued a bench warrant and now there’s a new charge for failure to appear. Can I just go to courthouse and ask for a court appointed attorney and explain that I got the court dates mixed up, and hope they drop the new charge? If not, what should I do?

Asked on March 17, 2015 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If a bench warrant was issued them it is likely that you may be arrested.  I would speak with an attorney about smoothing the way for you to turn yourself in and explain the mix up and having a new date appointed.  Try a legal services office before you actually go to court, which is where you would ask for the attorney.  But by then you would be in custody.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption