What to do if I was rear-ended by a lady and she claims that another person rear-ended her and left the scene?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was rear-ended by a lady and she claims that another person rear-ended her and left the scene?

My insurance didn’t do anything to fight my case or contact me back when I had questions about the case. My insurance just send a check without talking to the bodyshops I had quoted. The amount they gave me is not enough and also the driver that hit me should have paid the $500 deductible not me.

Asked on March 13, 2015 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the lady who rear-ended you for any out-of-pocket amounts you had to pay and which were not picked up by insurance. You do not need to take her word for it that someone else, not her, was at fault: let her prove that she's not liable. For amounts under the limit of your small claims court, you may wish to act as your own lawyer ("pro se") to save on legal fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption