What is my recourse if my rental vehicle was damaged while I was driving over a bridge from construction that was being done at the time?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if my rental vehicle was damaged while I was driving over a bridge from construction that was being done at the time?

Wood pilings were being removed. A piece of metal hit the roof and shattered the windshield. I stopped because the car was not drivable, stopped worker and told him what had happened, he phone his office and a few minutes later a rep from the company that was doing the construction arrived. He asked me some questions took pics. and told me his company was good about these things and said they would take care of it. My insurance company is involved and they were told it be taken care of. Well the company does not want pay because it said it was a subcontractor doing the removal-subcontractor wont pay also.

Asked on March 11, 2015 under Accident Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to sue the subcontractor for having negligently (carelessly) caused damage to your car; you should also sue the contractor as well, since depending on their role, supervision, involvement, etc., they may be liable as well (let them prove or show that they are not; you don't have to simply take their word for it). However, you may have to pay for the damage yourself, under the terms of your rental contract (unless you had insurance which will cover it), then seek reimbursement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption