If I was married for 5 years but was separated for 10 months when my husband died, what are my rights to his estate?

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was married for 5 years but was separated for 10 months when my husband died, what are my rights to his estate?

We had a loan for some property and van he owned the property before we were married but the van after we were married. Do I have rights to the van? We were not legally separated or divorced.

Asked on September 26, 2014 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were legally married at the time of his death then the generally rule sis that you would inherit under the intestacy statute.  If you had no children and he had no parents then you would inherit everything.  If his parents are alive then you inherit your community property and his parents would inherit his separate property.  But how his property will be designated is the key.  Please seek legal help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption