I was involved in an automobile accident and had full coverage insurance but the other driver was at fault and had no insurance what should I do?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was involved in an automobile accident and had full coverage insurance but the other driver was at fault and had no insurance what should I do?

My girlfriend and I was hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light he was a illegal immegrent and had no license and insurance and was a drunk driver he fled the sceen and was arrested three days later My insurance compay paid for my truck but said they were not responsible for the injuries. My girlfriend has unpaid medical bills and my back has been hurting i want to seek medical attention. I have spoken with my insurance company but I feel like they are giving me the run around What should I do to persue medical attention and see about getting the medical bills paid. Please help resolve this

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Accident Law, Louisiana


David D. Kervin, Jr. / Law Office of David Kervin, Jr., LLC

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a Louisiana licensed attorney in New Orleans.  You need to speak to a lawyer to see whether or not you or your girlfriend have a UM claim.  You can reach me at the contact info below.


David Kervin, Jr.


[email protected]

J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

What you are talking about here in a personal injury case to recover damages for an injury you and your girlfriend obtained during an accident. What I suggest you do is look for a local attorney in your area who specializes in personal injury. Basically the way it works is with personal injury claims you pay no money upfront and the attorney works on a contingency. Therefore it will not cost you any money to speak with a local attorney about your options. if an attorney wants to charge you call around and find one who does not.

At that point the way a PI case is handled is that you would sue the individual who caused the injury. When they have insurance you are paid through that company. With no insurance you are still able to proceed the only real issue will possibly be collecting. Being illegal it is difficult but I still would advise speaking with an attorney. You can present all your evidence and get an opinion on how to proceed and if it would be cost effective. Good luck and feel free to post again with additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption