If I was involved in an accident and my insurance policy had lapsed unknown to me, what can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was involved in an accident and my insurance policy had lapsed unknown to me, what can I do?

I was involved in an accident at a 4-way stop. I stopped, proceeded into the intersection, and the other car came out of nowhere and I hit it. New Link Destination
make things worse, I thought my car insurance was current, but then I found out that it had been cancelled several months before due to a problem with my auto pay. No one from the insurance company called me and I did not receive a cancellation notice. The company is claiming they sent it out based on their records, but how do I know if it was returned to them, plus no one bothered to call me. Now I am being sued for $12,000 by the other parties insurance. In addition to that, my car was totalled and I had to pay $1200 to get it out of the junk yard, and it doesn’t even run anymore. What can I do? I feel so sick it is affecting emotionally and physically. I cannot pay for this, plus she should be paying for my damages. What can I do?

Asked on September 24, 2019 under Accident Law, Hawaii


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you claim the other driver was at fault, you can file a cross-complaint (countersuit) against her for negligence. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of your car and the cost of retrieving it from the junkyard.
If you lose the case, and the other party obtains a monetary judgment against you, it would be advisable at that time to file bankruptcy. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption