Can I collect for things I have to pay out of my own pocket

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I collect for things I have to pay out of my own pocket

I was in an auto accident August 25,2019 a guy backed in to me in a parking lot no one was hurt according to my insurance company at the time of the accident the guy who hit me had no insurance my insurance company is going to repair my car but I have to pay a deductible pay for a rental for about a week and any work that I miss may miss plus any other costs that may come up

Asked on September 23, 2019 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can recover for reasonably foreseeable out of pocket costs not paid by insurance, like a deductible, rental of a similar car for a reasonable time while your car is repaired, towing or other direct costs, etc. You cannot recover for more than one day of missed work typically (e.g. the day of the accident or the day after, if you could not get in because you had take care of the car and rent a vehicle), because there are so many transportation options now (mass transit, Uber, Lyft, car or ride shares, cabs, renting a car) that it is not reasonable that it would more than 1 day to figure out how to get to work. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption