If I was in an auto accident, is there anything that I can do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in an auto accident, is there anything that I can do?

About 2 weeks ago, I was involved in an auto accident. The other person was driving his girlfriend’s car and decided to pull a U-turn while I had entered the median lane. He was sighted for an illegal U-turn and unknowingly driving with suspended license. My car was totaled. Is there legally anything that I can do?

Asked on February 4, 2019 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file a claim with the registered owner's insurance carrier for your property damage / loss of your vehicle.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from that insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the registered owner and at-fault driver.
If that insurance company denies your claim because the driver was not an authorized driver (not on the registered owner's insurance policy), your recourse is to sue the registered owner and driver for negligence.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of your car.  You can enforce a monetary judgment in your favor with a wage garnishment.
I assume you were not injured in the accident since you did not mention it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption