IWhat to do if was in a car accident 4 years ago but was found to be at fault and issued a citation?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IWhat to do if was in a car accident 4 years ago but was found to be at fault and issued a citation?

I called the office back the next day because I left the scene to be with my girlfriend at the hospital. He asked me to meet up with him the next day but he never returned my messages. So I waited and after 3 years I have never received anything in the mail nor have I been summoned. The insurance claimed barely settled 2 months ago. I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation and what the best course of action would be.

Asked on March 26, 2013 under Accident Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Arizona does have a provision which restricts the court's ability to collect on a citation after three years.  There are some limited exceptions.  To know exactly what the status of your case is, you should considering hiring an attorney that routinely handles traffic citations to make a couple of calls for you.  Then can find out if the citation was ever issued, if it was ever filed with the court, and then determine whether you would have a statute of limitations defense based on the facts of your case.  Your other option is to "just wait and see," however, if a warrant has been issued, it could hit you at the worst possible time. Some people move or addresses get transcribed incorrectly-- so notices go out and without more, the court will assume that you failed to appear and issue a warrant.   It is worth the peace of mind to know if the citation and the associated case are active with the court, and if so, so go ahead and get it resolved. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption