What to do if I was fired due to a previously undiagnosed medical condition?

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired due to a previously undiagnosed medical condition?

I have anxiety disorder and possibly bipolar disorder. If this turns out to be true, do I have grounds to sue for wrongful termination or am I to blame for not investigating this sooner? I have been diagnosed and am being treated for depression but it never occurred to me that I might also be suffering from an anxiety disorder until I read the symptoms.

Asked on March 31, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were terminated before bringing your condition to the employer's attention, there would be nothing wrongful about the termination. The law prevents an employer from discriminating against someone due to a disability. That does not mean that they cannot fire someone with a disability--they can, for any of a number of valid reasons, like performance issues, absenteeism, personality clash with co-workers or suprvisors, restructuring, etc. It simply means a person cannot be fired because they had a disability. But if the employer did not know you had a condition or disability, they could not have discriminated against you due to it--your firing could not have been discrimination against you due to a condition when the employer did not even know you had the condition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption