I was denied due to a clause in my policy and they refuse to cover the damages to my vehicle. Can I appeal?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was denied due to a clause in my policy and they refuse to cover the damages to my vehicle. Can I appeal?

My car was stolen from my residence and the individuals wrecked my car.
I was told that my car will not be covered because of a clause in the policy
regarding my vehicle being stolen which is why they refuse to cover it.
The clause is not clear and it should not be valid. A police report indicates the
car was indeed stolen. They are claiming that due to no damages to the steering
column although there are damages to the ignition they are not liable to cover
it. What should I do?

Asked on October 18, 2016 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You don't appeal: you sue. If you believe that your insurer should pay under the terms of the policy and the facts of this situation and they do not, you would sue your insurer for breach of contract--for violating their contractual obligation (an insurance policy is a contract) to compensate you. A court will then decide if they should pay, and how much.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption