Can I sue someone who drove my car and blew my engine by driving too fast?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue someone who drove my car and blew my engine by driving too fast?

I allowed my friend to drive the rest of the way home on the expressway. I asked him not to go past 80 mph, due to my cars transmission and because it makes my car shake and my engine light come on. He then tested that by going 85 mph and my engine light began to flash. I asked him to slow down but he didn’t, in fact he went faster. At a point where he

reached 100 mph, I asked him to slow down at that moment for my cars sake and our safety because I was scared. He told me,

Asked on October 17, 2016 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend for negligence which is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable driver would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  Your damages for negligence (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the cost of repairs to your car and documentation of wage loss.
In order to have an additional claim in your lawsuit of  negligent infliction of emotional distress, you will need to document it with medical treatment and a medical report from a psychologist or psychiatrist.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption