What to do if I was assaulted while driving a girl home who was having a manic attack?

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was assaulted while driving a girl home who was having a manic attack?

She dug her nails into my eyes and face and pulled me away from the steering wheel. To save her and myself from impending vehicular doom, I punched her giving her a black eye and regained control of the vehicle. I took out my phone to call the police; she broke it. After I dropped her off, I went to the police department and filed a report. They called her home and talked to her and took my story. Whatever she told them, they believed her over me and that police department is filing charges and I have a magistrate hearing next week. What do I do?

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


Ray Buso / Raymond Buso, Attorney at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you win the magistrates hearing the case will never actually be filed in the criminal court and it will not be a record, so it is important to be prepared for the hearing.

My suggestion is get reprentation by a good local lawyer, dress nicely and get as much support for your side as you can. If other people know she has manic attacks bring them. If you have the broken phone pring it. If you have pictures of your injuries bring them.

Money spent on a lawyer at this point is money well spent as it will save lots of time, anxiety and potential criminal record issues in the future. Respresentation for a magistrates hearing is likely $500. to $1000.00 depending on what court you are in. If you have to pay a lawyer to defend you if the complaint issues it could be 5 to ten times those amounts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption