What to do about a 16 year old DUI?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a 16 year old DUI?

I was arrested for a first DUI (a misdemeanor) in WA. When I went to court, my file was not found. I have heard nothing since. If that DUI shows up in an employment background check (requiring fingerprinting), where do I stand? Will they send me from MT (where I now reside) back to WA to appear in court or has enough time passed that nothing will happen to me?

Asked on August 27, 2011 North Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were arrested for a driving under the influence charge when you were a minor but were never convicted of the charge, then you essentially have nothing to worry about about it showing up in your background check.

Many times people are charged with a crime but are never convicted. In this country, all people under our criminal justice system are presumed innocent until convicted of a crime.

Another plus concerning your concern about the criminal background check is that you were charged with this offense as a minor. Under state law, all criminal files concerning minors are sealed per court order.

If you have heard nothing about your criminal matter by now and a long period of time has passed from the arrest and the present date, most likely the charge against you will not be pushed further.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption