What todo if my record was expunged but still shows up on a background check?

UPDATED: Feb 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What todo if my record was expunged but still shows up on a background check?

What does expungment entail? In 1990 I was arrested in IL for possession. I was sentenced to “drug school” and had my record expunged allegedly.I received the mugshots fingerprints arrest report,etc in a manila envelope.I moved to OH and have been working the same job since 1991. I have passed work related background checks. Three years ago I had to have a check to get custody of my 2 grandchildren and the arrest showed up from INTERPOL. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on February 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Even if your record was expunged correctly - and you should always double check and run a background check on yourself even after it has allegedly been done - there are some agencies that still have access to your entire life regardless of the expungement.  I am guessing that INTERPOL is one of those agencies here.  I would speak with a knowledgeable and reputable defense attorney in your area to discuss the matter fully.  The arrest was a LONG time ago and I am sure that a good argument could be made for how you have turned your life around and become a model citizen and how you will be a good and stable influence on your grandchildren.  People make mistakes in life.  ow they deal with those mistakes and what they learn from them is what matter.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption