I signed to give a donation to a charity the employer stop the charity then took the money and gave it to another without permission

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I signed to give a donation to a charity the employer stop the charity then took the money and gave it to another without permission

I donated $2 every 2 weeks to a charity that gave needy families a Christmas. However, when our executive director left the charity was stopped and we were told the money was now going to a different charity but I never agreed to this.

Asked on December 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It would be legal for the employer to stop supporting this charity, BUT they could not switch your donations/support to another charity *unless* you had signed some form or otherwise consented to letting the employer designate the charity. An employer cannot take employee money (deduct, withhold, pass on to others, etc.) without employee consent. If you only consented to support this one charity, then when they stopped supported it, they needed to give you notice of that and a chance to stop donating, select a different charity, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption