What should I do if a detective says that I committed forgery and wants me to take a polygraph?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if a detective says that I committed forgery and wants me to take a polygraph?

We had a employee steal 4k from us and was having him pay it back. We received $300 in cash and had him sign over payroll check. He never signed and stated to just apply it to his debt. I signed and deposited into my bank. I then wrote the company a check from my bank account for that amount. Detective is now saying that was forgery and I could be arrested. I never intended for this result and was hoping for guidance. I did steal from a company 22 years ago and never thought about it again. I was looking to help the company out by doing this and now have lost my job due to this and also am being told I could be responsible for the entire amount stolen. How does that happen?

Asked on October 17, 2017 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do not speak with the police, at least not without having a lawyer present. You are under no legal obligation to do so, even if they come to your house to question you. The fact is that the police are trained and experienced in getting a person to make incriminating statements. Accordingly, you should consult directly with a local criminal law attorney about your situation. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption