What are my rights if I rent and have had issues with a leak in my young daughter’s room?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I rent and have had issues with a leak in my young daughter’s room?

He had it looked at and said he would be back. Never came back and it’s been at least a month or so. Now there is mold. Also, my septic backs up and we can’t do laundry. He replaced a sink in the basement but it didn’t fix the clog. He said we just can’t do dishes and laundry at the same time. However, every time someone washes dishes or does anything it runs all over the laundry room floor in the basement. Can I stop paying rent or something? What should I do?

Asked on October 30, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In a case, there are 2 legal remedies under which you may be able to proceed.
The first is something called "constructive eviction". If there is a mold condition that is causing you or your daughter potential health issues so that you must vacate the premises, you may have a legal claim for any costs you incur (i.e. a hotel; storing belongings; etc.). Further, there is the possibility for you to recover your attorney's fees, if any. Additionally, you may also be entitled to other remedies, depending upon specific state law. Any photos and/or other documentation that you have will strengthen your claim (e.g. any report that may have been or will be issued by the the Health Department, etc.).  
The second remedy as to do with what is called the a "breach of the warranty of habitability"; this warranty is implied in every residential lease. It provides that a tenant must be given a safe and sanitary premises in which to live. For such a breach, you have several options: you can terminate your lease; withhold rent until the repair is made; or make the repair yourself and the deduct the cost from your rent. The presence of mold typically qualifies as such a breach. Proof of your claim will be necessary (as above).
At this point, you should consult directly with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant cases. You can also speak with a tenants' rights advocacy organization. Please note, that if you attempt any of the above remedies you must be certain of your legal rights under applicable state law.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption