What can I do if I relocated to a new job 3 months ago but was laid off today with no notice whatsoever?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I relocated to a new job 3 months ago but was laid off today with no notice whatsoever?

I was not offered any severance pay. My plan is to move back home with my parents, but it will cost me $7,000 just to cancel my lease. Can I ask my company to cover these charges? If they will not pay, can I take legal action and sue them for the amount?

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, they do not have to pay you your relocation back home. Employment is "employment at will"; you can be terminated at any time, for any reason, without notice, so you take a job knowing you can be fired at any time and you have no recourse for being fired. Your employer does not owe you anything for your lease, for your expenses, etc. with employment at will; they do owe for any work you did but have not yet been paid for; they would owe you a bonus IF the obligation to pay the bonus was in writing and you met the criteria to get the bonus; they would not owe you your vacation time unless there was a written employment contract or other written agreement saying that you are paid out vacation on termination of employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption