I recieved my father’s house via Deed Upon Death. State of Nevada.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I recieved my father’s house via Deed Upon Death. State of Nevada.

Can the mortgage company force me to sell or foreclose if I can not qualify for the loan? My name is NOT on the loan. What happens if I stop paying his mortgage?

Asked on May 16, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the loan is not paid, the lender will foreclose and get the house. The loan must be paid--your father's death did not cut off the lender's right to be paid, or their right to foreclose if not paid. Rather, the loan actually comes due in full on your father's death, though the lender will typically not foreclose (at least for a time) if you are at least making the monthly payments; they will give you a chance to sell or refinance. You are not personally liable for the money--they can't sue you personally--but you can and will lose the house if the loan is not paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption