What to do if I recently went to court for retail theft charge and it’s shpwing up on my record even though it is not suppossed to?

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently went to court for retail theft charge and it’s shpwing up on my record even though it is not suppossed to?

The public defense lawyer suggested that I just plea guilty and take the court supervision. He also told me that this would not be on my backround. So I recently applied for a job and was denied because of my backround check. I thought it wouldn’t be on my backround if I did the whole court supervision thing. Why is it that employers still see this?

Asked on April 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you, you received bad legal advice from your attorney. All arrests regardless if the person is convicted of the charge or not end up showing up on one's background check if the person is an adult since an arrest of an adult is a public record per code. As such your employer is able to see your problem with the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption