What to do if I received a copy of a Will that my brother said my mother wrote but I’m not so sure that it was signed by her?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I received a copy of a Will that my brother said my mother wrote but I’m not so sure that it was signed by her?

There is a signature on the first page of the will that I am not sure is hers. There second page consists only of the names and signatures of 2 witnesses. Is this acceptable? How do I know that what the 2 witnesses attested to was really the first page of this will since my mother’s signature and their signatures are on 2 different pages.

Thank you.

Asked on December 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like you are questioning the authenticity of this will. If you are a beneficiary in this will or think you were wrongfully taken out or if this was simply a forged document, consider talking to a probate lawyer in your state and see if you can file a motion in probate court challenging the will itself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption