How do I remove my ex-boyfriend from the deed to my house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I remove my ex-boyfriend from the deed to my house?

I purchased a home 17 years ago. The mortgage is in my name only. I assigned my partner’s name to the deed but our relationship went bad 9 years ago. He left. I haven’t and shouldn’t see him again. I understand a quit claim but the chances of finding him and having him sign it are nil. My home will be paid off in 36 months. After payoff, can I remove him from the deed? Again, he isn’t on the mortgage. Or can I refinance the remainder of the loan to remove him? There are lots of novice answers on the web but I’m not sure which way to go. He doesn’t know he’s on the deed or at least the thinks he’s already been removed. What can I do?

Asked on January 16, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Paying for the house is separate from owning it: if someone is on the deed or title, he is an owner of the home even if another person paid for the house (via cash, mortgage, or a combination). Paying off the house or refinancing it will not let you remove him as owner. The only way to disentangle yourself--if he will not voluntarily quit claim the home to you--is to sell the home and go your separate ways (though he'll get his share of the proceeds) or to buy out his interest from him for a mutually agreeable price. You should consult with a real estate attorney to explore the pros and cons of the different options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption