I need to know what to do my uncle is trustee and is not following the trust.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to know what to do my uncle is trustee and is not following the trust.

My uncle became trustee last year when my grandmother passed away. My great grandfather left both my uncle and I 50/50 owners of a house. The house is a ‘ family’ house to be lived in by close family only rent free until 2025 at that time it can be sold. My uncle is letting his girlfriends family live there rent free and is refusing to have them move out and has avoided contact with me. I plan on moving into the home in January 2018 and need to have the tenants out.

Asked on November 3, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If a trustee is not following the instructions of the trust and/or is violating his "fiduciary duty" by putting his own needs ahead of those of a beneficiary (the fiduciary duty requires him to be loyal to the beneficiaries), a beneficiary can bring a lawsuit, typically in "chancery court" (a part or division of county count) for what is traditionally called an "accounting"--that is, to make the trustee account for his actions as trustee. If a court finds that he is violating the terms of the trust or his fiduciary duty, it can order him to do or not do certain thins (like removing the girlfriend's family); to pay compensation; and/or can remove him as trustee. This type of legal action is much more complex than the type of small claims action typically brought by non-lawyers; you are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption