I need to know if I can have a sentence switched after the conviction?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to know if I can have a sentence switched after the conviction?

I was just sentenced yesterday for my 2nd DUI in 3 years. I was given a plea agreement with my public defender that stated 2 days in jail, 2 years probation and possible a fine. When we went before the judge, I was told I also needed to choose between to 28 days home monitoring or 224 ouhrs of community service. I was put on the spot to choose and I believe I chose wrong for my situation and work schedule. I chose community service but would really need to have home monitoring. Is there a way I can get this switched?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you showed up on court concerning the sentencing for a second driving under the influence conviction of alcohol or a controlled substance in two (2) years and you agreed to a particular sentence, the chances of you being able to change the sentence that you elected (community service) to home monitoring is pretty remote is the court specifically asked you if you knowingly agreed to the terms of the sentence that you agreed to.

In any event, if you had an attorney representing you at this sentencing hearing, you should immediately contact him or her about the possibility of changing the sentence to the other option. If you did not have an attorney at this sentencing hearing, you should consult with one as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption