Do I have to disclose who used my credit card if I agree to pay the amount owed?

UPDATED: May 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to disclose who used my credit card if I agree to pay the amount owed?

My cousin used my credit card for phone sex while drunk one night and lied to me about it. I don’t want to press charges but now I’m being charged with credit card fraud. I will pay the amount owed but I don’t want him to be involved. He has already given me the money to pay for the charge.

Asked on May 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It sure sounds as if someone committed credit card fraud, and you are the likely fall guy -- although, quite frankly, I find it hard to believe that your cousin did so without your complicity (and if I find it hard to believe, imagine what the state's attorney thinks).

Perhaps having criminal charges lodged against you does not phase you, and you don't care about having your name in the local press as a quasi-pervert. Perhaps you can afford bail, and then plead not guilty, and even beat the rap. (These cases can be hard to prove, and defrauding a porn-type site may be regarded as a "serves them right" by a Tennessee jury.)

But for Gosh sakes, what if you can't? Don't you think you'd be best off speaking with a real Tennessee defense lawyer (I'm not a TN lawyer) who knows the ropes and can talk to the prosecutors and try to cut this off at the bend before you are arrested and charged? lists many good TN lawyers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption