Can I be on probation in 2 different states?

UPDATED: May 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be on probation in 2 different states?

I’m currently on felony probation in my state of residence and I committed a class 1 misdemeanor in another state. Upon going to court, I was ordered to pay a fine of $420, 5 days suspended jail time, class on shoplifting,and a year of unsupervised probation. The court knew where I lived. Also, the other person who committed this crime with me fled the scene and was detained,whereas I was sited and released because I turned myself in and complied. He is being told that he may spend 30 more days in jail for our home state. What should I do? I was also recently diagnosed with clinical depression and a personality disorder,should I mention this?

Asked on May 19, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

One can be on probation for crimes he or she has been convicted of in two different states. Given the situation that you are in, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney in your locality to assist you in the matter before things get more precarious for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption