What can happen if I’m 16 and I sexually chatted with a 13 year old girl?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if I’m 16 and I sexually chatted with a 13 year old girl?

I only sent 2 face pics and a body pic of me fully clothed but my underwear was showing quite a bit. She only sent face pics. Neither one of us took pics of us naked or semi naked. We did talk sexually to each other in text messaging. Can either of us get in trouble. I live in one state she lives in another.

Asked on December 15, 2013 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


Stacey Schlimmer / Schlimmer Law, LLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Sexting is considered child pornography and/or child exploitation and is a federal crime, meaning teens can get in trouble for sending or receiving suggestive messages in any state. The consequences for sexting could range from sex offender registration, up to 20 years in prison and/or a $100,000 fine (depending on your state). Information courtesy of www.schlimmerlaw.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption