What to do if my son took my car without my permission and wrecked it causing $11,000 in damages?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son took my car without my permission and wrecked it causing $11,000 in damages?

My insurance company told me to call the police to make a report. He has no license. Will he be charged with a felony? We want him to take responsibility for the damages without us getting penalized. It’s been 2 months and they won’t release our vehicle. We have rental coverage on insurance but our insurer is not dealing with us n a good way at al;l we can’t get answers and don’t know what to do.

Asked on November 26, 2014 under Accident Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are really stuck between a rock and a hard place here.  If he used the car with out your permission then your insurer wants to make sure of that and that is why they want you to report it stolen.  It may not be necessary under the law though. If you gave him permission but he was not licensed then it violates your policy terms and they want to disclaim coverage.  You need to take your policy to an attorney to review to see if there is any way that you can force their hand with out causing your son a criminal history.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption