I live in IN, I failed a drug test, but was able to prove prescription. While proving I lost 4 hrs of paid time, does my employer owe me for that time?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I live in IN, I failed a drug test, but was able to prove prescription. While proving I lost 4 hrs of paid time, does my employer owe me for that time?

I was hurt on the job, I took a post-accident drug test.
I informed the clinic at the time that I was taking a
prescription for Norco generic. She neglected to write it
down. My test results came back positive for Norco, my
employer asked me to clock out and that I had to provide
proof of prescription. No problem, I provided proof, I lost
4 hrs. of my paid time doing so.
Does my employer still owe me 4 hrs. of pay since it was
not my fault and I was able to provide a copy of my

Asked on May 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer does not owe you for that time. It does not matter if it was your fault or not: you did not work for the 4 hours, and therefore do not have to be paid for it. If the reason you lost the time was the *employer's* fault--their error--that would be different; if they caused you to lose time, they may well have to pay you for it, since you would have lost the pay due to their actions. But it was not your employer's fault: it was the fault of the clinic, and your employer is not responsible for what a third party does or fails to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption