What to do if I just got a citations for theft under $50?

UPDATED: May 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I just got a citations for theft under $50?

I have know clue what I need to do. I this is my first run in with the law and I dont want it to ruin my life.

Asked on May 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First, you need to make sure that you stay in touch with the court where your case is going to be filed.  It will be one of the JP's in your area since this is a first offense under $50.00.  You want to stay up with the court because you do not accidentally want to miss a court date, thereby causing a warrant to be issued for your failure to appear.

Second, you should look into getting a criminal defense attorney.  This is just a misdemeanor.  You're not looking at serious jail time, but it can have an impact on your life down the road.  Some employers frown on applicants who have been convicted of a theft offense.  Theft is considered a crime of moral turpitude-- which means that you would not be able to serve on a jury if convicted.  If you're an otherwise good person, a theft can negatively impact your life.... so you want a defense attorney that can work a deal for some type of direct or conditional dismissal.  It will cost you some funds, but it will save a tremendous amount of headache on the backend.  If you simply cannot afford an attorney, see if the court will appoint one for you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption